Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vitamin D

Years ago when I converted to seeing a naturopath (ND) over a more traditional doctor, one of the most important pieces of information I gathered in that first appointment was the importance of vitamin D. I remember him telling me that traditional medicine was so far behind in prescribing vitamin and hadn't acknowledged the tons of research done by NDs to show how effective it was in treating a variety of ailments. When he tested my levels (in the middle of the summer, mind you), they were at levels seen in his cancer patients (vitamin D is also a very important component of our immune system). That was enough to scare me! I began taking 5,000 IUs a day. I remember the shock of certain family members who (diagnosed with osteoporosis) couldn't believe I was taking that much and thought I was being reckless with my health. Having complete confidence in my doctor, I asked about this. He said the research was clear and that if you were deficient, it was safe to take up to 10,000 IUs (what is considered deficient is different in natural medicine than traditional). He also commented that one of the reason osteoporosis is so prevalent is because calcium is over-prescribed and vitamin D is under-prescribed. So I have never doubted the importance of vitamin D in my life...until I was pregnant. I received different (anecdotal) reasoning that I should decrease my intake and also that I should increase. I was completely confused and so nervous. I wanted to choose whatever was best for my child. In the end, after consulting my ND (who was concerned about my low levels that were reportedly within normal according to my OB--NDs are much more stringent when it comes to lab results), I decided to remain on my higher dose. Thank goodness, because today I was reading just how important vitamin D is during pregnancy. And recently, pediatricians have begun recommending vitamin D supplementation to newborns and older. There is a theory floating around out there that the reason the Pacific Northwest has such high levels of Multiple sclerosis is because of chronically low vitamin D levels in this area. Anyway, here's our family's choice for this vitamin because it is pure vitamin D, no additives (you'd be surprised--read your labels!) There is a 400 IU that I give to my son and my husband and I take the higher dose.


ref=dp_image_0.jpg


There were many, many things wrong with me at that first naturopathic appointment, all of which have been resolved, including my low vitamin D levels. I can truly say that I've never felt healthier. I rarely get sick and my son has had only two colds in one year (and he goes to daycare...germs, germs, germs)! Even when he had a recent cold, our naturopathic pediatrician had me increase his daily vitamin D temporarily and he was better within a few days...although you could argue that is the typical duration of the cold, but I swear it helped!

I still get a good chuckle when I hear reports on the news about the importance of vitamin D, which is relatively new to mainstream news (in the 1-2 years), because it was seven years ago that I learned of this amazing vitamin. Incredible how far behind traditional medicine is...here's to your health!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey all, didn't realize the image wouldn't show up. We use the Biotics brand for vitamin D...you can get it at Pharmaca as well as through Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it drops or a pill that you take? Right now I'm using the Kirkland brand from Costco and afraid to look and see what the additives are! At least I'll know what to switch to when I run out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use drops. The one thing that worries me about commercial vitamins (we used to use the Costco brand as well), is that they are often not 3rd party tested. The thing to think about with vitamin D in particular is that the body absorbs artificially made differently than naturally. I don't totally understand the science behind it, but the Biotics vitamins (and one other brand I know about--Metagenics) make vitamin D that is bio-available, meaning your body absorbs it and uses it, versus absorbing it and excreting it.

    ReplyDelete