Monday, December 12, 2011

Today was the MOST wonderful day I've had in a long time! It was first day in at least two months, where Jackson and I had NOTHING planned. I didn't have to work, didn't have errands that had to get done, and I didn't have to work (wait, did I say that one already??) After a brief workout in the morning, we proceeded to 1) finally put up and organize our family photo wall, and 2) get a start on the holiday baking! Holiday baking is probably my favorite thing to do. Seriously. I LOVE IT! But since I still haven't been feeling great (I'm 15 weeks now!), I've been worrying that I wouldn't have the time/energy/stamina to complete all that I've been wanting to. Today was the day though! Even though I wasn't 100%, Jackson and I gave it a go...and I didn't sit down all day.

Okay, to the good stuff. Here's what me and my little helper were up to in the kitchen all day...

The Spunky Coconut's Chocolate Hazelnut Spread aka Homemade Nutella was first on the list! Oh my gosh this stuff is to die for! There is coconut in it, but it's very subtle. The smell of coconut has been making me sick this pregnancy, but I hardly noticed it in this treat! It was easy too, except for getting the skins off the hazelnuts. I gave up on the last half and the spread still came out delish, so I wouldn't stress too much about that.

We also tackled homemade sugar free rice crispy treats from the Gluten Free Goddess, which have been on my to do list for months.


At first, I wasn't crazy about them, because they aren't that sweet. But after a few bites, I felt like my tastebuds reorganized because then I began to love them. Warning to all the marshmallow crispy treat fans....these are quite different although the texture is amazing. It will take some time adjusting :)


Homemade granola was also on the list today (can I just say how helpful it is to have a double oven!!). It's VERY low in sugar...I used 1/2 c organic brown sugar and 1/4 c coconut sugar for FIVE mason jars of granola! There is also a bit of raw honey, brown rice syrup and no sugar added applesauce that help provide a bit of sweetness.

I also tried my hand at reduced sugar truffles...these were not as much of a success although quite tasty. The recipe is from dietdessertndogs.com and do taste quite good, I just had trouble cutting mine to make them look as pretty as she does.


Jackson was a good helper and a good taster. We practiced learning to lick the spatula (so wish I had pictures of this as it was SO cute!). His favorites were the granola and the filling for the truffles. Jackson enjoyed getting to play in the kitchen with me...he even wanted to dress up with beautiful jewelry like his mama too...

Pretty sure I'm saving this for his wedding day!

I think we did pretty well for a pregnant lady and a toddler!

Hope you all have fun preparing gifts for others during this season of giving....Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

 K




No comments:

Post a Comment