Sunday, September 11, 2011

Finding the Perfect Coconut Milk...and Then Making Yogurt

I recently did some research on Carrageenan and found countless articles on how awful it for us to consume, so I sent an email to Kelly over at SpunkyCoconut.com, who I follow religiously. She and I had a discussion on the best and safest coconut milk on the market. She then sent an email to the makers of Native Forest Coconut Milk who reported that although some BPA is present in their cans, it's as little as 0.2 parts per billion. That doesn't sound like much to me, but what do you think? I have just been so eager to make my own yogurt ever since I read how easy it is from Kelly's website and also from her latest cookbook, but I needed to use coconut milk. So I gave it a shot tonight...it's still warming on the stove. I had bought a yogurt maker and guess what? It totally didn't work, and I mean that I went to plug it in and it didn't warm up. So I reverted to keeping it warm in glass jars while in a shallow pan of simmering water. I really hope it works, but if it doesn't work, I will be sending it through the ice cream maker. I'll keep you posted when we try it tomorrow.

On another note, I also made this wonderful ice cream recipe tonight: Vegan Caramel Apple Ice Cream. I have just fallen in LOVE with cashews lately. They are sooooo creamy and yummy. You can also try this recipe that I discovered in a cooking class I took today: take raw cashews and grind up with water in the food processor. You can determine the thickness based on how much water you put in. We had this and melted chocolate to dip fruit into...it was heavenly!

And on one more note...here are the latest pics of the house. We had it painted this weekend and although we now wish we had gone one shade darker on the house, we think with some black shutters and a black door (the paint job done on this today is temporary), the house will actually look like it's not from the 1960s.





Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment