Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lent, Revisited...

Okay, so an update....after I gave up the sugar, I started to fall back into old habits of eating everything BUT the sugar. It became more of a stress rather than a positive thing in my life. So I had to alter things a bit...I re-included less refined sugars such as agave, date sugar and maple sugar, as well as molasses (in my BBQ sauce) because it actually has healthy minerals. I also re-included homemade desserts using these sugars...I think baking is one way I de-stress and I'm always coming up with ways to make old recipes more healthy, and that's something I really enjoy doing and sharing.

I gave up sugar originally because I thought I should give up a vice for Lent, but really, sugar isn't my enemy like it used to be (back in the day when I had no idea what high-fructose corn syrup was). Sugar used to hold a power over me, but it no longer does. I continue to eliminate it where ever it shouldn't be, like in my ketchup, but I'm okay with an occasional homemade cookie (nothing overly processed like Girl Scout cookies, which just make my stomach hurt).

And I really have enjoyed using the alternate sugars. I highly recommend those above as well as brown rice syrup. I made the most fabulous peanut butter cups the other day using the maple sugar...yum! Let me know if you want the recipe :)

No comments:

Post a Comment